Puerto Rico has one of the busiest cruise ship schedules within the Caribbean. In case you are one of the many that shall be starting a cruise in Puerto Rico, the next may be useful.
Most Puerto Rico cruises beginning from San Juan will go away port late afternoon / early night, with boarding starting around lunch time
What do we do with our luggage before we can board the cruise ship in San Juan?
There are just a few choices as regards to dealing with your luggage earlier than you can board the cruise ship.
Each are close to the cruise line piers in Previous San Juan.
1. You probably have arrived the day earlier than, you might want to think about testing of your resort as late as doable. That means you possibly can just loosen up across the resort area (pool / seaside) and take a taxi to the cruise ship closer to the boarding time. If the lodge checkout is just too early, ask for a later checkout or ask the hotel to store your luggage till it is time so that you can head to the cruise ship.
2. In case you arrive early in San Juan on the day your cruise leaves (otherwise you need to tour Old San Juan) you’ll be able to store your luggage at either Barrachina Restaurant or Audio Guia. Each are close to the cruise line piers in Previous San Juan. Audio Guia fees a storage price and storage on the Barrachina Restaurant is free (however I am sure the homeowners will expect that you will at the very least buy something at the restaurant). Along with your luggage in storage you’re free to see the points of interest of Old San Juan.
Be aware: Some Puerto Rico cruises depart from the Pan American pier which is on the alternative side of San Juan bay. If that is the case in your cruise, then you definately will need to take a taxi from the storage location to the Pan American pier. The taxi will cost you round $10 plus $0.50 per piece of luggage, excluding hand luggage, and a further charge of $1.00 per luggage, after three pieces
3. For anyone arriving on the same day because the cruise, the cruise line can have the option to take their transfer from the airport to the cruise pier. It is a service that you’ll have to pay for upfront.
Advantages: You should be capable to test your luggage in when boarding the bus and mustn’t must re-test it while you arrive at the ship (verify this together with your cruise line)
Disadvantages: If you’re touring with others, the cruise line transfer will in all probability be more expensive than taking a neighborhood taxi. Also, you have to to attend on the airport until each passenger has boarded the bus.
Will we be able to go away the ship, as soon as we now have checked in?
1. Depending at one time your ship departs, you need to be able to depart the ship to see among the attractions of Old San Juan earlier than your cruise departs. As soon as once more, in case your Caribbean cruise departs from the Pan Am pier, you might want to take a taxi in an effort to get to Previous San Juan. Relying on how long you might have earlier than your cruise departs will determine how a lot of Outdated San Juan you’ll have the ability to see. Points of interest price considering are:
El Morro Fort
San Cristobel Fort
La Bombonera restaurant (if you’re round for breakfast / brunch)
San Juan Cathedral
Governors Mansion and gardens
San Juan Gate and the Paeso La Princesa
Be aware: If you plan on boarding the cruise ship first before touring Old San Juan, plan to have a daypack (hand luggage) with a change of clothes. This way you won’t want to wait on your major luggage, earlier than heading into Old San Juan
Now we have a number of hours to kill in San Juan at the tip of our cruise. What can we do?
Again, the main situation that you will have is your luggage. Here are some suggestions:
1. If you happen to plan on touring Outdated San Juan, then use one among the 2 storage services; Barrachina Restaurant or Audio Guia.
2. Check to see in case your airline affords luggage test-in on the cruise ship piers. American Airways offers this service for the Previous San Juan piers, so it is value checking with your airline. This feature means that you would be able to verify-in your luggage before you leave the ship and overlook about it until you arrive at your ultimate destination.
3. Book one of the ‘end of cruise tours’ that the cruise line offers. These tours will usually be on a bus and will help you take your luggage with you. At the top of the tour, you can be dropped off at the airport.
4. If none of the cruise line tours attraction to you, consider taking a personal tour. Again you’ll be able to take your luggage with you and at the top of the tour get dropped off at the airport.
5. In case you are feeling a little bit extra adventurous, arrange a rental automobile and do a self tour. When you’ve got the time, a visit to El Yunque rainforest is a good option. Simply guantee that the automobile rental firm will allow you to drop the car at the airport or will take you to the airport after dropping the car off.
6. If you’d just prefer to chill out by a pool or the seashore. Examine the various hotels in San Juan to see if they have any day passes or day rooms available. The Marriott has offered this previously, so make a couple of telephone calls (use the local San Juan quantity reasonably than the final 1-800 quantity).
7. If you are not leaving Puerto Rico after your cruise, contact your resort (use the local number) and arrange for an early check-in or to retailer your luggage at the lodge until your room is prepared.